Friday, January 20, 2012

My Top 8 Books: 2011


Well, January 2012 is almost over.  I fully intended to write and finish a list of the best books I’ve read in the year 2011, by the end of 2011.  But it didn’t happen.  I went through my shelves, compiled a list and began to write.  Then…  No excuses, I just didn’t finish it before the New Year.  So, here’s a list of 8 of the best books I’ve read in the past year.  I haven’t attempted to provide a detailed review of each book, but I have said just a wee little bit about each one in hopes you might be interested enough to pick one of them up. 

Most of these aren’t really new books, although some of them are.  Some of them were recommended to me, some called to me from the endless recommendations of Amazon.com and some were sold to me by book publishers who incited a giant media storm just so I would buy their book.  All of them were good.  All of them helped me to learn in grow in some way.  So, here they are:      

  1. The End of Evangelicalism?  Discerning a New Faithfulness for Mission: Towards an Evangelical Political Theology  By David Fitch
This book was a challenging but fantastic read.  At some point, after I read the book a second or third time, I’ll write a review of it.  Until then, you’ll have to take my word for it that The End of Evangelicalism was a great read if you are interested in theology, philosophy and the future of the church in America. 

  1. The Lord of the Ring’s   By J.R.R Tolkien
This summer I read all three of Tolkien’s books concerning that epic war for Middle Earth.  The books, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King, were originally meant to be one book.  At the time, however it would have been impractical and very expensive to print them as a single volume.  Even if you aren’t a fan of wizards, hobbits, magic and flying dragon like creatures with ghostly riders, you owe it to yourself to read these books.  While not every character or event in The Lord of the Ring’s is imbibed with deep meaning and significance, there is a great wealth commentary on things like the nature of earth destroying evil, the unexpected coming of salvation, hope, courage and brotherly love.    

  1. The Gospel in a Pluralist Society  By Lesslie Newbigin
Anyone interested in ministering to people today should read some Newbigin.  In a world of competing claims about truth and belief (and really, when has the world not be a place of competing claims about truth and belief?), Newbign helps us discover how we should believe and how we should engage in conversations about those beliefs with others.    
   
  1. The Doctrine of the Word of God: Church Dogmatics, Vol. 1.1  By Karl Barth
My wonderful sister bought me the entire 14 volume set of Barth’s masterpiece, Church Dogmatics.  Working my way through these pivotal books may just take my whole life.  But, the first volume was rewarding and thought provoking enough to keep me reading.  It’s my hope to read a volume, read something else, and then read another volume.  I’m sure I’ll have more to say about Church Dogmatics in the future.   

  1. Will Our Children Have Faith?  (Revised Edition)   By John H. Westerhoff, III
Ok, so I read this book at the end of 2010.  But I reread it in 2011, and I’ll probably read it again in 2012.  Westerhoff rocked my world and gave me much to think about in the area of Christian education and spiritual formation.  What Westerhoff makes very clear is that if our children are to have faith, it will be because of the efforts of the entire believing community living out its faith and teaching it to the next generation.         
   
  1. Offering the Gospel to Children  By Gretchen Wolff Pritchard
So, I’ve become more concerned with the spiritual growth and formation of children as a result of Will Our Children Have Faith?  As a youth pastor, I’m deeply concerned with the formation our children receive before they reach me.  I want to make sure that what I do helps to build on what has been learned and experienced at earlier ages.  Wolff Pritchard helped me understand children and their educational and formation needs in greater detail.  Most of what she writes about takes place within an Anglican context, but her insights and suggestions are helpful nonetheless.    

  1. Love Wins: A Book about Heaven, Hell and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived   By Rob Bell
I’m ordained now, so I can admit that I’ve read and, to a certain extent, enjoyed this book.  I have to admit, however, that I fell prey to the media blitz and storm that surrounded the releasing of Love Wins.  I purchased the book because everyone said what a terrible book it was –espousing all kinds of unorthodox and heretical ideas.  I love a good heresy.  Bell asks a lot of questions and answers some.  I did not find Bell to be a heretic.  I don’t even find him to be particularly dangerous to the Christian faith.  I do think he has a genuine interest in helping people find an authentic faith which makes room for challenging assumptions and asking questions.  The world needs more assumption challenging.   

  1. Almost Christian: What the Faith of our Teenager is telling the American Church   By Kendra Creasy Dean
Creasy Dean’s book is kind of depressing.  It builds on work done by Christian Smith and Melinda Lundquist Denton and the National Study of Youth and Religion.  Almost Christian identifies the faith of American teenagers as “moralistic, therapeutic deism” which can be described as “an adherence to a do-good spirituality that has little to do with the Triune God of Christian tradition and even less to do with loving Jesus Christ enough to follow him into the world.” (page 4) If Creasy Dean is correct, and I believe she is, American teenagers believe and think this way because their parents and their churches have taught them to.  Not only does the entire community need to be involved in teaching our children about our faith, we must make sure that the faith we are teaching, and living out, is the true faith of a community that confesses Jesus Christ is Lord. 

I’ve read more than eight books this year, but these were particularly enjoyable.  I hope, at the end of 2012, I’ll be able to post a similar list of intriguing and thought provoking books.  Here’s a few of the books on the docket for 2012:

The Power of the Powerless: The Word of Liberation for Today by Jurgen Moltmann

The Doctrine of the Word of God: Church Dogmatics, Vol. 1.2 by Karl Barth

The God-Hungry Imagination: The Art of Storytelling for Postmodern Youth Ministry by Sarah Arthur

The Open Secret: An Introduction to the Theology of Mission by Lesslie Newbigin

Preaching the Story that Shapes Us by Dan Boon

Desiring the Kingdom: Worship, Worldview, and Cultural Formation by James K. A. Smith

Real Kids, Real Faith: Practices for Nurturing Children’s Spiritual Lives by Karen Marie Yust

God in Creation by Jurgen Moltmann

This should keep me busy for a while.  What are you reading?  What do you think I should be reading?  


1 comment: